RAY Implementation in Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation
There are 99 authorised slums (Own Land with ROR) and 278 unauthorised slums (on state govt. land/Railway/NH)
Tenability study of all slums undertaken with USAID assistance:
Sequel to tenability study:
- 177 tenable slums
- 200 initially non-tenable slums (with interventions, some of the initially non tenable slums can be made tenable)
free City: Plan of Action:
- The tenability study debated by the BMC internal standing committee on planning and development was recommended for approval by the corporation.
- Tenability report : approved by the corporation
- The report submitted to the govt. for approval so as to take up in situ rehabilitation / off situ rehabilitation of slums.
Legal Framework for Property Rights to Poor:
- With the overall objective of “Whole City Approach”, BMC has undertaken a pilot project encompassing Ward Nos. 7 & 12.
- The Pilot Project provides the best mix of different settlement typologies such as authorized tenable, authorized initially non-tenable, unauthorized tenable, unauthorized initially non-tenable and the like.
- Assistance of USAID taken for the aforesaid pilot project.
- A local agency (SPARC) having proven track record roped in for undertaking community mobilization, household survey & allied activities.
- The household survey work in the prescribed NBO (RAY) format completed.
- Mapping on GIS platform completed.
- Integration of MIS- GIS data completed.
- Land use planning and analysis of infrastructure requirement completed.
- DPR (Pilot) prepared with analysis and budget requirement for whole city.
- The Orissa Municipal Corporation Act, 2003 mandates integration of all slums or informal settlements with the city mainstream.
- The Orissa Municipal Corporation Act, 2003 mandates tenure to all slum households in tenable settlements.
- State Slum Rehabilitation & Development Plan (SRDP) in the final stages of consideration by Gov. of Orissa.
- Building bye-laws amended to reserve 20% of developed land in all housing colonies for EWS/LIG housing.
- In-situ & off- situ Rehabilitation (vertical structures) proposed in unauthorized but tenable slums.
- State Nodal Agency – Technical Cell Formed
- ULB Nodal Agency – Slum Free City Cell formed with Municipal Commissioner as Head.
ULB Technical Cell being formed with assistance of State Tech Cell.