With the endeavor to make the City Clean and Green, Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation took the initiative for plantation of trees during monsoon season. There are various reasons for which the plantation services hold high importance.
- Trees clean the air: Trees help cleanse the air by intercepting airborne particles, reducing heat, and absorbing pollutants such as carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide.
- Trees are Effective Sound Barriers: Trees, planted at strategic points in a neighborhood or around your house, can mitigate major noises from crowded roads, railway stations and airports.
- Trees Produce Oxygen: A mature leafy tree, in a few months, produces as much oxygen as that required by 10 people for one year.
- Trees become dustbins for harmful gases: a tree absorbs and locks away carbon dioxide, and other harmful gases which warm the environment. An urban forest is a carbon storage area that can lock up as much carbon.
- Trees Shade and Cool: Shade from trees reduces the need for fan, coolers and air conditioning in summer.
- Trees Fight Soil Erosion: Trees fight soil erosion, conserve rainwater, and reduce water runoff and sediment deposit after storms.
- Trees help in lowering the dust levels and pollution levels in the cities.
- Trees decrease respiratory problems: Children staying in areas and localities with trees have much less breathing problems that children staying in localities which have no trees.
The year wise tree / saplings planted by BMC within BMC area as below
||No of Trees Planted
||21,170( Institutional Plantation )
||5000( Institutional Plantation )
||2886 ( Avenue Plantation within Tree Guard )
||2012 ( Avenue Plantation within Tree Guard )
||5000 ( Institutional Plantation )
||10,000nos distribution of saplings among the Corporators and institutions
||5681 nos distribution of saplings among the Corporators and institutions